On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 08:32:28 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <i...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> @mlchung If you don't have any strong preference, I implore you to accept
>> this change. I **vastly** prefer to move the data out of `make`!
>>
>> This is not just about Skara tooling. When working with make files, autoconf
>> and shell scripts, there is no fancy IDE support, so you are stuck with
>> simple text editors and tools like `grep`. I've lost count on how many times
>> I've had my grep searches blow up, since I happened to find e.g. a string in
>> `tzdata` and get hundreds or more of hits. :-( And I do believe we will get
>> a better code structure if the build team "owns" `make`;  or at least has a
>> vested interest in what's in that directory. We still suffer a lot of the
>> old "I don't know where to put this file, so I'll just put it in make cause
>> nobody cares about it anyway" mentality, but I've been working for quite
>> some time to make that list of misplaced files shorter and shorter.
>
> Also, to clarify, for me there is a fundamental difference between
> `src/$MODULE` and `make/modules/$MODULE`. The former is the home of files
> that are part of the module, owned by the content team, and the `$MODULE`
> part is essential to delineate this content. The latter is owned by the build
> team, and is just a convenient way to organize the build system within the
> `make` directory. So it's clearly a no-no to put anything but `.gmk` files in
> `make/modules/$MODULE`.

The mapping and nr tables, and the *-X.java.template files in
make/data/charsetmapping are used to generate source code for the java.base and
jdk.charsets modules. The stdcs-$OS files configure the package and module that
each charset go into. If the tables used to generate the source files are moved
to src/java.base then make/modules/jdk.charsets/Gensrc.gmk will probably need a
new home too.