On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 07:06:24 GMT, Jayathirth D V <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Implemented blit via compute kernel
>
> src/java.desktop/macosx/native/libawt_lwawt/java2d/metal/MTLLayer.m line 136:
>
>> 134:         NSUInteger w = computePipelineState.threadExecutionWidth;
>> 135:
>> 136:         // Workaround for some OS/device bug reporting incorrect
>> maxTotalThreadsPerThreadgroup
>
> @avu Do we know in which hardware we have this issue? Also do we have any
> reference to Apple bug?
> Also if we use thread group as 1 what is the performance impact in such
> hardware?

Forced maxTotalThreadsPerThreadgroup to 1 and tested in Intel SoC 2015 Macbook
Pro, as expected i see almost ~50% reduction in FPS numbers in many use cases
in RenderPerfTest. This final blit hits common operation and we would be able
to make better decision whether this performance reduction is okay or not based
on hardware in which we are seeing Apple bug.

PR: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk17/pull/62