Hullo All,

  I just received my copy of Surgeon's ``Body Request'' album - his first
on his own Dynamic Tension imprint. The album starts off with ``Hunger'',
a foray into ``Red Two''-ish Clarkean techno with clinks and clonks thrown
in for good measure. ``Setting The Scene'' begins with a clinging
percussions and a hard beat, gaining momentum and reverb as the track
progresses (reminding me somewhat of Beaumont Hannant's remix of
Autechre's ``Basscadet'' - but the comparison is a bit shaky). From
somewhere out comes the bell/string background, fading in and out of focus
under the relentless beat and percussions. ``Fight Or Flight'' is very
reminiscent of Surgeon's earlier work on Dynamic Tension - furiously
repetitive percussions over a booming bass drum and a variety of shakers
and hihats. A few detuned bellstrings in the background - similar to
``Setting The Scene'' but shorter and only momentary. ``Discipline''
lashes out hard and sudden with a bouncy percussive melody line,
escalating to another furious in-and-out-fading hihat/shaker/snare workout
over a booming bassline. ``Instinct'' is another tapping detroit repeating
chord track with a rather interesting overlaid syncopated rhythm. Not a
lot of variation here, nevertheless a good track with a snappish bassline.
``Stringent'' is very similar to ``Discipline'' - a bouncing percussive
melody over a repetitive square bassline. Nothing new here.
``Sleep (Ultra Violet)'' is the definite high point of the album -
starting off with a couple of minutes of buildup drums and percussions
(but with that familiar Surgeon touch - very loose and open). The a string
layer is added - just two chords repeating over and over - very similar to
Claude Young's ``Angel'' on his third release on Deta or Ruskin's
``Prevention Beyond Cause'' on Blueprint. The strings fade out but then
fade back in during a break from whence the track continues to its
inevitable end - a symphonic chaos of strings and reverb and noise.

  These were my first impressions as I was listening to the album, so take
everything with a grain of salt - I think all Surgeon releases require
more than one listen-to before all the nuances become apparent.

  All in all, a very good package. A tad too level and unsurprising when
compared to Surgeon's latest work on Counterbalance, but nevertheless
worth buying if you're into Surgeon, Ruskin, Ho and the like.

DTRLP1 (Dynamic Tension [UK], 2xLP, 2000)
Surgeon (Anthony Child)
``Body Request''
A1      ``Hunger''
A2      ``Setting The Scene''
B1      ``Fight Or Flight''
B2      ``Discipline''
C1      ``Instinct''
C2      ``Stringent''
D1      ``Sleep (Ultra Violet)''

  If anyone knows if the CD has more tracks, let me know.

  Cheers,
--
nuutti-iivari meriläinen   gordon at diversion dot org
http colon slash slash www dot diversion dot org slash