I'm of the philosophy that you should never go to a gig without
everything you need to plug directly into any sound system you might
encounter.

In my case that means I have a pair of 1/4" to XLR Male cables, so I
can plug directly into the stage plug box, plus a stereo RCA cable and
RCA->1/4" adapters.  Buying your own DI boxes is a good investment if
you need them because at most venues their XLR boxes get beat to hell.

Oh and get a cable tester while you're at it ;-)