Actually most the big rock bands do pre-programmed sets during their 'live'.
The order of the tracks, their lengths etc. Its everything but spontaneaous. The good proof for that is that all the lights and visuals are pre-programmed (just go next to the light jockey in a rock live, he has next to his setup the full line up of the live with timed comments showing what he has to do at this or that moment).

This can sound disppointing but there's still he interest of seeing/hearing your favourite band playing different versions of their own tracks and interacting with a crowd.

When it comes to techno its all about the same to me : wether the performer plays the instruments live or does something more pre-programmed is not important. And its not linked to the gear used (both ableton and regular gear can be used live or pre-programmed). What is important is the charisma and the visuals, which are a good part (except the music and how it interacts with the people) of the crowd satisfaction.

Its not nostalgic to say that ableton sets are less charismatic than good old gear lives. That can end to this digital/vinyl DJ discussion, but the difference is that 'live' is most of the time promoted as 'better' of 'more exceptional' that the regular DJ set.

Benoît.