> I think Quincy Jones would be the first guy to say that he
> collaborated with MJ on those classic records, and that his role was
> to facilitate and channel what Michael was trying to accomplish.

that sounds like political talk - because it is

> Quincy does have a hand in bringing out the best in many artists as a
> producer.  And while it can be argued that Jones' body of work is
> impressive, his work on his own doesn't hold a candle to the best work
> of the artists he's produced.

well, yeah, that's what I'm saying - Q's talent is just that
pulling out and making the best of MJ's talent and finding ways to work it
that MJ probably wouldn't have if left to his own devices
MJ needed Q to make those two albums what they were
of course Q needed MJ to be the vocalist and the interested artist to make
them what it they are as well - but Q had all those arrangements in his
head, the blending of musical styles, and just the pure lushness of the
sound
that's 100% Quincy

if you listen to Destiny, which is the last thing that Jackson did before
teaming up with Jones - while still good it just doesn't compare
Destiny is fun but pretty much nailed to the time in which it was made -
pop funk/disco of the late 70s
Off the Wall trancended that era and I give more credit to Quincy than
Jackson for taking it there because I don't think Jackson would have got
there on his own

> So don't try and take anything away from MJ.  Quincy is a great
> producer, arranger, and collaborator, but he's no Svengali.

I'm not taking anything away from MJ - he was a phenominally gifted singer
and he knew, like Madonna, how to navigate the river up to a certain point

don't get me wrong - I grew up on and love most of MJ's & the Jackson 5's
work up - especially those two albums

MEK

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Michael
> Elliot-Knight<michael.elliot-kni...@fallon.com> wrote:
> > I think that Quincy Jones should be the one held responsible for the
way
> > Off the Wall & Thriller came out and Michael Jackson's comeback solo
> > success
> > if you take a look at Q's work as a producer - he could take artists
with
> > mild to falling success and make platinum selling records
> > many artists' albums failed to be as good after leaving the working
> > relationship with him - MJ's included
> >
> > Jackson was blessed with an amazing voice and was a quick study - he
did
> > the same thing with Bob Fosse's choreography
> >
> > but had it not been for Jones in the studio I HIGHLY doubt either of
> > Jackson's best works would have come out the way they did
> > his solo career was floating in the 3 out of 5 star area - and then
> > suddenly he produces two amazingly classic records?
> >
> > naw - that's all Quincy, the dude just has that touch

Disclaimer
The information in this email and any attachments may contain proprietary and
confidential information that is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are
copying, distribution, retention or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited.  When addressed to our clients or vendors, any information
contained in this e-mail or any attachments is subject to the terms and
conditions in any governing contract. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately contact the sender and delete the e-mail.