like every where there are lot of idiots, semi-profs and profs around, including bookings agencies.

i think you only need a booking agency, if already have several lot of gigs & requests
and need someone to arrange all booking requests for you.
not to other way around - they won't give you a lot of more gigs or some

regarding finance
normally a booking agency charges 15% of your fee on top to the promotor/club who books you.
so 500 fee for you, means booking agency charges 75 for himself.
so a club pays 575 in total

whether the agent does all your gigs exclusive is up to you
you can do worldwide exclusive
sometimes they do by continent or country (like booker A is UK, booker B rest of Europe) but other deejays have two agencies, both working non-exclusive for whole Europe

but as said before, don't expect (too much) an agency to generate more gigs for you