Heh, I occasionally notice sample bites -- like the fact that DJ
Shadow sampled practically the entire Stanley Clarke discography
making "Endtroducing" -- but it's exhausting to think about trying to
pick out every instance.

And what it's done mostly for me is to push me back to the original
sources. I DJ'ed a friend's wedding a couple weeks ago and played Lynn
Collins "Think", Chic "Good Times" & "I Want Your Love", First Choice
"Let No Man Put Asunder",  Patrice Rushen "Haven't You Heard", George
Kranz "Din Da Da" ...

I like creative sampling.  I have been working through the Rick Wade
in my iPod as I walk the dogs every night, and the way he works the
samples is inspiring. But I also like going back to the source.