If someone still communicates with Denise, tell her she's being
unsubscribed and blocked from this E-Mail list.

She's blocked me so I can't do it myself.  I can't see her Tweets or
Facebook posts either because I'm blocked, but I've had tweets forwarded to
me complaining that it's a list where old white people tell you what you
can listen to, and attacking me specifically.

I have always given list members broad latitude as to what they can post,
I am not the tone police, as Denise has accused me of being.  I've asked
her not to make ad hominem attacks.  Turns out she's not read any of my
private e-mails, so sending them was a waste of my time.

I think that reading the e-mails from the admin is a minimum requirement
for being a member of the list. If you don't like how things are run, you
can unsubscribe.  You can curse me, debate me, whatever, but you do have to
pay attention to me. I promise to contact people privately rarely.

I have always treated Denise with what I thought was a respectful attitude.
I've always credited her for doing a lot of good work in scholarship and
community activism for the Detroit music scene. But that wasn't enough,
apparently.

I wish her well in all her future endeavors, but those endeavors will no
longer include the 313 mailing list.

Going forward, I'm thinking a better way to handle people causing trouble
on the list is to 86 them early and often. Many people who I think were
equally as valuable - or more valuable - to the 313 techno music scene have
unsubscribed because of her.

I'm no longer willing to allow people to hijack this list for whatever
reason. And that doesn't mean I'm going to censor anyone. It does mean you
have to play nice.