First of all, I'm sure the artists on here are making cool music. Will
listen later.

But, this article and all similar articles are so out of touch and elitist
it's ridiculous. Let me lay it out very simply
1. Very few black communities in the US have embraced techno, it is not
commonly perceived in the US as being a part of black culture by either
blacks or whites.
2. We live in a class society that weaponizes racism, so that if you are
black, you are less likely to be wealthy than if you are white.
3. This article focuses on an event produced by the MUSEUM OF MODERN ART;
which due to the demographic reality listed above, is probably not
something that is in any way accessible or interesting to black working
class people (or any working class people). Honestly most MOMA shit sucks
and ordinary people can see that better than many of our wealthy elite who
have been brainwashed by years of conceptual art bullshit.
4. If you actually want to make techno more diverse, it has to begin with
presenting the music in ways that ordinary folks can relate to and access
and enjoy. A great example of what I mean is the Underground Resistance
cabaret parties that they threw in Detroit. That's what bringing techno to
ordinary folks looks like; another example is the original DEMF when it was
free and tons of families were dancing with ravers. Techno should be for
everyone, not just for the elites who read WaPo and go to MOMA events!
5. Basically, my point is this: If the audience for techno became more
diverse, I think it's reasonable to assume that it would organically
increase the diversity of DJ's and producers who decide to participate in
making this type of music.

*To be clear, I am personally very glad that Jeff Mills has done stuff with
museums and orchestras, and I don't have a problem with techno events in
museums per se, but to think that this has anything to do with addressing
some kind of racial disparity within the techno scene itself is ludicrous.

~David