Perhaps a better question might be....does this ruin the ability of
PERFORMERS to accumulate the fruits of their labor.  Does Moby's presence
on the SciFi channel proclaiming "I am SciFi" in a commercial affect the
ability of May, Atkins, Craig, and others to put their music out
there...and to be compensated (however this is defined)?

I actually don't know the answer to this question.

As for "the music" I think that darw_n is correct.  Techno and House are
very different from hip-hop for example, in that I really don't think it
is possible for these artforms to be co-opted.  I haven't come up with
anything more than a vague theory as to WHY (if anyone has I'd be
interested in seeing it)...but I just know that we won't see Sony
perverting the artform.  It is what it is....and I don't think it can be
changed except by us.....

peace
lks