Absolutely. Trance came from Detroit techno. Stardancer is the obvious
example. Also, think: Sun Electric's "Entrance". The title is not a
coincidental mispelling. And Sun Electric are only a few steps of
collaborations from Eddie Fowlkes, Juan Atkins, Moritz Von Oswals, etc.

I got into this stuff with "Rave" and "Acid House" around 90-91 with the
Lords of Acid, etc. When I first heard Waveform Transmissions, I thought it
was trance because it came out on Pow Wow Trance. Artist like Oliver Lieb
are clearly in a huge debt to Detroit. Maybe we should invent a new
distinction between Trance and trance. Umm... maybe not.

A lot of early trance is good music. Unfortunately new trance has spoiled it
for us. I can hardly listen to a lot of it anymore. I think this is a great
example of what could happen to techno if it got bigger. Maybe not though,
since techno is much broader, less confined, and more dynamic than trance
ever was.

Tristan
PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102
"FrogboyMCI" on AOL Instant Messenger

"Feeling Like A Kid Again... My Eyes Are Glued to the Floor.
I Hope I Mumble Goodbye As You Walk Out the Door.
UhOhUhohh... UhOhUhohhh... UhOhUhohhh...
The Damage is Done." - Yo La Tengo