----- Original Message -----
From: "Lester Kenyatta Spence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 4:51 PM
Subject: [313] archival question

> But it got me thinking.  There are a number of spots on the web where we
> can here old school wizard tapes (well, not that many, but you know what
> I'm talking about), and there are places like Groovetech that has an
> archive so to speak of the first DEMF.
>
> Is there an archive of Detroit techno?  Or even dance music broadly
> considered?

http://deephousepage.com does the trick for Chicago, and all things deep
house (you can find a good deal of Ron Hardy, some Theo Parrish, some other
Detroit folks here & there and the aforementioned Wizard mix there).
However, no such place exists for techno to my knowledge. http://paxahau.com
has some more recent stuff covered, which is good, but historically speaking
I've never seen it or seen it mentioned on this list. I suspect this is
because the base of the deephouse page was constructed around WBMX, the Oak
Park radio station that used to feature the Hot Mix 5. The deep house page
used to be explicitly focused on WBMX. I suppose there could be some people
with old T-1000 and Mojo mixes around though - and there were other Detroit
radio shows back then too, right? That would seem to me to be the place to
start. Besides all of that there's an absurd number of legal issues about
clearing the mix with the radio station, club, DJ, artists, etc if you want
to be legit about it. I'm not sure how deephousepage gets around this. I
know I've seen mixes pulled from their site, which indicates to me they fly
by the seat of the pants with it. I'd be happy to help in any way I can if
you can actually get this off the ground. It would be such a valuable
project!

Tristan
http://ampcast.com/phonopsia <- Music
http://phonopsia.tripod.com <- Mixes, pics, thought, travelogue & info