"The technology for making records has not changed since the 50's. Digital
production techniques are making it difficult to maintain fidelity when
transferring to vinyl. People are not making tracks that will sound good on
records anymore."

I was fortunate enough to hear about a 2 hour discourse (almost a rant ;)
about the subject from our nameless masterer. I think he may have a valid
point. He feels that a lot of digital production techniques (stereo
expanding to the point of no return, certain wacky effects, we know what
they are, etc.) sound great when listening to it digitally on our computers
and CD's. We have to understand that there is much more room to play in the
digital domain. Not so in records. Again, these are all his thoughts.

I won't go so far as to say that this may have caused the mastering
problems, maybe the equipment is antiquated, I don't know. I'm just trying
to give perspective from the horse's mouth by proxy. I think he has been
pretty frustrated as of late and he did go on and on about a project he was
working on that he could not tone down enough to keep the needle from doing
its own dance on wax. No idea who he was talking about, I pretty much let
him vent :)

My favorite quote in the 2 hours:

"People like Mike Banks know how to produce a track to sound good on a
record."

Classic.

Peace,
Alex