I guess some of my writer/promotions background makes folks think that I'll always have something to say. And then there's the line of thinking that says, if it's already been said, if you have nothing new to contribute, keep your mouth shut. The other week I was at James Stinson's funeral (Drexciya) and now this. So I'm shell shocked. All of you have spoken well to her memory and I really don't think I have anything I can add that will do any more to communicate what a truly inspirational woman she was, faults and all. In fact, her "faults" were some of the things that endured me to her. Laura would say things that others might be thinking, but wouldn't. She once said something to me about a situation where she, in her words, "put my foot in my mouth." I told her, "Naw, everyone else was thinking it, you were just the only one who wasn't scared to open your mouth and be honest about how you felt." She was human. She was openly human. You didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out, "What does she mean?" Good or bad, she'd let you know. So I came to respect this woman, long before I got to know her well enough to say that I truly loved her as a person.

I called her, not too long ago, because I wanted to know how she was doing, what was going on with her. I'm thinking, it's so cool to be talking to this woman, not for business (though we HAD to talk about "the business"), but honestly, for the pleasure of it. And she thanked me. And I don't know how other folks interacted with her, but as much as I was inspired by her, she made me feel like I was doing something for her just by calling and BSing on the phone. And (and I know this will sound silly), that was my dance partner (yeah, I know, I'm not alone). I could count on her to not stand on the wall, no question. I am going to miss her on so many levels...