I would argue that most people using pro tools are using the LE version
which is very limited in it's effect. once you get a TDM or Mix 24 there are
so many more digital effect you can use. but lets not forget you can still
use all you analog effect you just have to route a signal through them and
record the out come..

I would also argue the pro tools is better than analog tape. it is a much
cleaner medium. which makes things like a pre amp and mic play much more in
the big picture of sound when you do not have to fight the noise floor of
analog tape.
I also like analog tape it has some very unique characteristics, that I dont
beleive current any digital processing can simulate.
they both have there purposes. but I really think it come down to money,
when you can almost buy a whole Pro Tools studio for the price of one studer
16 track deck.
which bring me back to these studio's also dont invest in a good PT system
either. they don't get many dsp card so there processing power is low and
they most likily don't get farm card because they don't invest in the good
effect's like the tc stuff, amp farm and echo farm which are very expencive.

the other digital processing equipment like motu, while it is very good
quality. does not work with pro tools. unless you use the free version.
which does work really well and is free.

> Far be it for me to enter into a 'debate', but I didn't assert that
> Pro-Tools performs composition. However it can have a decisive effect on
> 'sound'.  This is due to numerous factors, such as the A/D converters used
> (Digidesign, MOTU, Apogee etc.) and the software itself, i.e. the TDM
> system of DSP, which is far more powerful than most home systems. Even
> though it ends up on a DAT or CD, the difference is audible.

loosing those harmonics is very audible.
when you record in pro tools you can record 24/96 which is a very good
sample rate. and when you bounce it to a dat or cd you are dithering it to a
16 bit signal. so you end up loping off the top end of the spectrium. it is
audible and when how play back systems can play back at those rate's I bet
the record companies will be remastering like mad.

I have also heard the neuindo (sp?) is very good. designed around the
windows machine.
I know there are issues with neuindo and the mac has some thing with the was
the computer processes, a intel is a x86 and a mac is something else.

as for getting a pro tools system.
I have been seeing a lot of 882/20 on ebay for around $300 and today I saw
an andromda card that went for $350 but the actual program & i/o card are
much harder to find then the 882's
but this would be a 20-bit TDM pro tools system and you could use all the
cool guy plugs with it and still come in under $1500 if you had to buy a
computer. I see blue and white mac g3 for cheap on ebay these days. you
could even use an older 8600 or 9600 because this pro tools hardware does
most of the audio processing on board and doesn't require that much power to
run the screen.