Another great source for these questions is the Ableton forum:

http://www.ableton.com/index/forum

You won't have to join a mailing list or anything either. Just search
for keywords like evolution uc33e/protools/midi/etc and you will come
up with tons of information/opinions/debates/etc as these questions
have been asked/answered 1000's of times.

As an ableton user I can attest to it's beautifully simple and
intuitive interface. Give the demo a shot. Not only great to get
started, but it has come a long way as well, and can be used for
complete production of tracks. This, of course, would be up to you.

Good luck.

Adam