a shocking hobby is good, although i think most in the IDM scene
over-looked it. have you heard public energy #1? that's speedy j's 1997
album 9his last for +8). that's where he first made the switch from clean
smooth techno to the serious noise. (attention 313 guards: i know the 'ni go
snix' 12" came
out just before that). that album really changed my concept of what techno
can be. there used to be a real audio set from speedy j at tribal
gathering from the public energy tour (www.speedyj.org) but i don't think
that's up anymore. shame since i saw him a few days later in amsterdam
(still in the top 3 sets i've ever heard in my life!!!)

ever since 'shoking hobby' he's gone more straight bangin' techno
(electric deluxe or krake 12") you can find a few live pa's of that
style on winmx or audiogalaxy. it's some of the best hard techno i've
heard. shit, everything he does is 'the best' of that style. but i wish he
would explore the broken distorted style from public energy #1/shocking
hobby a bit more. what does everyone else think?