From: Rich Megginson [mailto:rmegg...@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:00 AM
To: Chaudhari, Rohit K.
Cc: 389 Directory server developer discussion.
Subject: Re: [389-devel] Setting up 389 DS without DNS

On 07/24/2012 08:57 AM, Chaudhari, Rohit K. wrote:
> Well ultimately, what we are trying to do is communicate between a server VM
> on a host machine and a client VM on a local machine.  When the user attempts
> to log in to his/her account on the local machine, he/she authenticates
> against the LDAP server on the host machine.  Is there anything that would
> have to change in order for this to work without DNS?

As long as both the server and the client have both the client and the
server in their /etc/hosts, with the FQDN listed first, and the LDAP
server certificate has that same FQDN as the value of the cn attribute
in the cert subjectDN, it should work.

Otherwise, if you are having specific problems, and can provide specific
error codes and error messages (and preferably directory server logs),
we can try to figure out what is going on.

But I will reiterate - DNS is not required to get this to work.