Hi William,

On 08/19/2016 02:22 AM, William Brown wrote:
On Wed, 2016-08-17 at 14:53 +1000, William Brown wrote:
https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/48951

https://fedorahosted.org/389/attachment/ticket/48951/0001-Ticket-48951-dsadm-and-dsconf-base-files.patch
https://fedorahosted.org/389/attachment/ticket/48951/0002-Ticket-48951-dsadm-and-dsconf-refactor-installer-cod.patch
https://fedorahosted.org/389/attachment/ticket/48951/0003-Ticket-48951-dsadm-and-dsconf-Installer-options-mana.patch
https://fedorahosted.org/389/attachment/ticket/48951/0004-Ticket-48951-dsadm-and-dsconf-Ability-to-unit-test-t.patch
https://fedorahosted.org/389/attachment/ticket/48951/0005-Ticket-48951-dsadm-and-dsconf-Backend-management-and.patch

As a follow up, here is a design / example document

http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/design/dsadm-dsconf.html
thanks for this work, it is looking great and is something we were really missing.

But of course I have some comments  (and I know I am late).
- The naming dsadm and dsconf, and the split of tasks between them, is the same as in Sun/Oracle DSEE, and even if there is probably no legal restriction to use them; I'd prefer to have own names for our own tools. - I'm not convinced of splitting the tasks into two utilities, you will have different actions and options for the different resources/subcommands anyway, so you could have one for all. Also, I think, the goal should be to make all actions available local and remote, the start/stop/install should be possible remotely via rsh or another mechanism as long as the utilities are available on the target machine, so I propose one dsmanage or 389manage - could this be made interactive ? run the command, providing some or none options and then have a shell like env
dsmanage
>>> help
...... connect
...... create-xxxxx
>>> connect -h ....
....... replica-enable ....
?

More details to come.

Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael O'Neill, Eric
Shander