On 10/11/2018 12:57 AM, William Brown wrote:
On Wed, 2018-10-10 at 16:26 +0200, thierry bordaz wrote:
Hi William,

Thanks for starting this discussion.
Your email raise several aspects (How, for whom,..) and I think a way
start would be to write down what we want.
A need is from a given workload to determine where we are spending
time
as a way to determine where to invest.
An other need is to collect metrics at operation level.
Aren't these very similar? The time we invest is generally on improving
a plugin or a small part of an operation, to make the operation as a
whole faster.

It could be the used tools that are similar but the difference is about expected results. For example I was just discussing with a user who reported:

   [24/Oct/2018:12:10:55.012908141 -0800] conn=2400 op=1 MODRDN
   dn="<DN_one>" newsuperior="(null)"
   [24/Oct/2018:12:11:01.711604553 -0800] conn=2400 op=1 RESULT err=1
   tag=109 nentries=0 etime=6.1301230184 csn=5bd0d1cf000000010000

   tried the same modrdn in my test environment, resulting in no error
   and no latency.

   [24/Oct/2018:12:14:03.665479821 -0800] conn=138 op=1 MODRDN
   dn="<DN_one>" newsuperior="(null)"
   [24/Oct/2018:12:14:03.749121724 -0800] conn=138 op=1 RESULT err=0
   tag=109 nentries=0 etime=0.0083774655 csn=5bd0d28b0000/00010000

So here the expected result is not to improve performance but having a diagnostic method/tool to know what is going on in production compare to tests.
So if we can report on an individual operation, we can write a tool
similar to log-conv.pl, but for performance metrics that displays
trends of operations that are not performaning well, then we can find
examples of operations and why.

  From the how perspective, we can rely on external tools
(stap+scripts),
or internal tool (like the plugin you described+scripts). Of course
we
can also do some enhancements inside DS (like adding probes) to help
external tools. I have no strong opinion if an approach is better
than
the other but I think it also depends what you want to perform.
I think that it would be great if the tools we use internal to the
team, were accessible outside to admins of ds. That way when we get
reports for performance concerns, we have a standardised way of looking
at this. It's going to mean our workflow is the same between internal
development and profiling, as for external reports, and it will force
us to have all the information we need in that one place.

I think as a coarse first metric internal event timings is probably
want we want first. After that we can continue to extend from there?

As for the how, perhaps we can put something on the Operation struct
for appending and logging events and turning those into metrics?

As mentioned you could use stap too with defined points for tracing,
but that limits us to linux only?

best regards
thierry