From: 389-users-boun...@lists.fedoraproject.org
[mailto:389-users-boun...@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Aaron Hagopian
Sent: 22 August 2011 11:59 AM
To: General discussion list for the 389 Directory server project.
Subject: Re: [389-users] Recover Management Console Password

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:ResetDirMgrPassword
2011/8/22 Brant Hohnstein
<brant.hohnst...@returnpath.net<mailto:brant.hohnst...@returnpath.net>>
Is there a procedure (however cumbersome) to reset the Management Console
(admin) password if the password is not currently known?

I changed the admin password in the Console GUI
(domainName/ldapservername/ServerGroup/Administration Server/Configure Admin
Server/Access(tab).  I must have typed the password wrong twice because it
accepted it.  Now I can't seem to type the password "wrong" in the same way to
get into the Management Console.

I have tried shutting down the Admin Server and copying in a
/etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/admpw file from a different 389 server where I do know
the password.  After restarting and typing in the known password, I get an
error about not being able to contact the directory server.

I have also searched for a password recovery procedure without success.
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Brant Hohnstein
System Administrator
Return Path, Inc.
8001 Arista Place, Suite 300
Broomfield, CO 80021
brant.hohnst...@returnpath.net<mailto:brant.hohnst...@returnpath.net>
+1 303-999-3233<tel:%2B1%20303-999-3233>