For testing I know "TLS_REQCERT never" works.

For production I use:
TLS_REQCERT demand
TLS_CACERT /path/to/ca_cert.pem

If TLS_REQCERT never works then there's something wrong with your cert most
likely.  Though I'd expect a generic connection error if were just having a
problem verifying the certificate.  Does ldapsearch/ldapmodify work for other
operations?

Otherwise maybe send us the exact command you're running?

-morgan