Thanks William,

Hmmm.... then I'm puzzled why things are failing.

For a little more detail as to what's going on....

I was asked to install squirrelmail on a system so user's could read their mail. I installed the change_ldappasswd and everything appears working except for actually changing the
password.

The system connects to my 389-ds server and a successful anonymous bind occurs. It reads my password properly because if I enter it wrong, it will tell me so. But when I try to change the password, I get an error saying it couldn't retrieve my old password from the LDAP
server.

From an old post (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.user/28454) it claims that this error means that the php script couldn't find the password field in the search results.

I'm going off the assumption that because I don't see the userpassword SSHA field when I do
a ldapsearch, this means it can't either, so it fails.

I'm hacking at the php script to put in print/echo statements to try to pinpoint the problem, but I'm thinking that it's doing a second bind to the LDAP server looking for this field.

I was hoping to try to see if this was the case by making the field available in a ldapsearch.

I'll turn my attention back to the php script since I'd rather not compromise security on the
LDAP server.

Thanks for the quick response.   Did I mention I hate PHP?