Hello,

We are configuring password policy in 389 directory.  We’re running what I
believe is the latest stable version form the Epel repository on CentOS 6:

[root@devldapm03 ~]# rpm -qa|grep 389
389-admin-1.1.35-1.el6.x86_64
389-console-1.1.7-1.el6.noarch
389-ds-console-doc-1.2.6-1.el6.noarch
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.11.15-72.el6_7.x86_64
389-admin-console-doc-1.1.8-1.el6.noarch
389-ds-base-1.2.11.15-72.el6_7.x86_64
389-adminutil-1.1.19-1.el6.x86_64
389-ds-1.2.2-1.el6.noarch
389-admin-console-1.1.8-1.el6.noarch
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el6.noarch
389-dsgw-1.1.11-1.el6.x86_64
[morgan@devldapm03 ~]$ uname -a
Linux devldapm03.philasd.net 2.6.32-573.26.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 4
00:57:44 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[morgan@devldapm03 ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
[morgan@devldapm03 ~]$

I just did a yum update, rebooted and installed 389 anew.

The password policy works well if configured globally (from the Data node under
Configuration)
However when I attempt to create a subtree level policy
(Directory->domain->employees, right click Manage Password Policy->for subtree)
under ou=employees,dc=domain,dc=org the effect is as if there is no policy.  If
I subsequently disable the subtree policy I cannot get the global policy to
take over.  In fact the only way I’ve been able to get the global policy to
work is to re-install from scratch.

I also tried command line configuration and was unable to get the policy
working at all though I have more confidence of my understanding of the process
via the console.

We’ve tried different policy settings but for testing purposes I’m just setting
a minimum password length of 8 characters.

Is there something I’m missing?

thanks,

-morgan