On Tue, 2018-02-20 at 16:00 +0100, Francesco Marchesi wrote:
> Hi.
> We are in the process of renewing the certificates of our two 389DS
> servers which sync through multimaster replication.
> We are currently using a self-signed certificate shared between the
> two
> servers.
> Our topology is like this:
>
> HAProxy : ldap.example.com for load balancing
> LDAP1 : ldap1.example.com
> LDAP2 : ldap2.example.com
>
> Connections are made from clients to ldaps://ldap.example.com which
> sends requests to either ldap1 or ldap2
> Following the 'SSL howto' [1] we would like to have separate 'real'
> certificates for the two servers.
> If I'm not wrong, the certificate signing requests should be created
> in
> each of the two 'real' servers for their real name and adding
> ldap.example.com as subjectaltname.
> Is that correct?

That is correct!

Today you actually need ldap.example.com AND ldap1.example.com in the
subjectAltName, because that's the "definitive" field. I think the rule
is "if a SAN is present use it for hostnames instead of CN in the
subject".

> If yes, then I have another question: having the two certificates it
> is
> not important which one clients use, is it?

No, because the clients trust the CA that issues the two certs, not the
individual certs themselves.

Hope that helps!

--
Thanks,