On 08/30/2018 12:04 PM, rai...@ultra-secure.de wrote:
Am 2018-08-30 00:48, schrieb William Brown:
On Wed, 2018-08-22 at 12:41 +0200, rai...@ultra-secure.de wrote:
Hi,

I have a few users in my open-ds dump that have the following
attribute:

ds-privilege-name: password-reset

Does something like this exist in 389-server or is it done purely on
an
ACI level?

If I recall correctly, if you have the write targetattr userPassword,
you can reset someone's password. I think this is a good example where
we need to document this better as password reset is a common
requriement.

I've CCed on our documentation wizard who may know where this is found,
or where it should be added.

Hi,

thanks for the feedback.

I used "Passwd Admins" feature.

dn: cn=Passwd Admins,dc=the,dc=domain,dc=ch
changetype: add
objectClass: top
objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames
cn: PasswordAdminsGroup
uniqueMember: cn=TechUser,dc=the,dc=domain,dc=ch
uniqueMember: cn=reg,dc=appusers,dc=the,dc=domain,dc=ch

dn: cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: passwordAdminDN
passwordAdminDN: cn=Passwd Admins,dc=the,dc=domain,dc=ch

These two users had the ds-privilege-name: password-reset attribute

Is that correct?
Correct, the password admin feature gives a user or a group (like what you did) fulll unrestricted access for setting user passwords. They can reset passwords, add prehashed passwords, and add passwords that violate the server's password policy, etc.

http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/design/password-administrator.html

Mark

Best Regards
Rainer