I'm looking to setup HBAC for linux servers. People currently login to the hosts(via ssh) using ssh keys(no password).

I was thinking that one way to control access is by denying the sshPublicKey(or even the uid, many options here) from being visible on the host by default, and creating an aci that allows the attribute to be visible based on the host. The visibility would be controlled by applying the aci to a group, and if the person is a member, then it's allowed. This does not work as I hoped though, since there is no bind performed as the user when the user logs in to the host.

My questions.. 1) if is this a sane approach, how might I get around this issue? 2) If this is not a good way, what might be a better way to accomplish this?

The caveats are I don't want to rely on posix group membership in the allowgroups in sshd.conf, nor do I want to require passwords to login