Hi

When using EOS to retrieve results from server variables, you have to take
into account that the execution is asynchronous. You have to loop until you
get a non empty result, or better use another variable to know when you can
get the values from the server. This is not necesary if you use a method
with the EOS server attribute set, as others have already said, but could
be useful for other purposes.

So your code could look like this (not tested):

method1
-----------
done:=false
Directory_path:=get 4d folder(3)
done:=True
repeat
    idle
until (not(done))

method 2
------------
$p:=execute on server("method1";12345)
repeat
   get process variable($p;Directory_path;$Server_Path;done;$done)
   delay process(current process;10)
until ($done)
set process variable($p;done;False)

I like to put a timeout also in the loops exits just in case something does
not go as expected. Something like:

until ($done | (milliseconds > $timelimit))

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 15:51:47 -0400
> From: Chip Scheide <4d_o...@pghrepository.org>
> To: 4D iNug Technical <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
> Subject: v13 - how to get directory path on server from client
>
> I tried:
> method1
> <>Directory_path:=get 4d folder(3)
>
> method2
> execute on server("method1";12345)
> get process variable(<> Directory_path;$Server_path)
>

> but the variable $Server_path is blank.
>
> Thanks
> Chip

Joaquín Mendes Castro
ASEMAT, S.A.                                     tlf: 34-91-4015099
Agustina de Aragón 3, Bajo C                     fax: 34-91-4018646
28006 Madrid (SPAIN)               e-mail: joaquin.men...@asemat.es