Doug,
this might be more then you think...
as I recall there are a number of non-printing characters in unicode
char(0) through char(31) except Char(10), char(13)

so it may not be a "simple"
Query by formula([table];position(char(0);[table]field)>0)

It may actually be a case of
do any of the characters in any text field in my database match any of
these prohibited characters in this list.

I had some old code to locate and exterminate gremlins (same idea,
older systems) but it does not seem to be handy. That code may have
come from the nug, you could check the archives...

If i find it - I'll forward it to you.

Chip