Doug,
if I am reading this correctly
(http://kb.4d.com/resources/inug?msgid=GmailId14980bbd87790d18
) -
Keisuke is saying...

SET TEXT TO PASTEBOARD($text)
$text:=Get text from pasteboard

apply to your text field(s)

Also I found this on game (12 years ago - from Pat Bensky)

Here is some code to strip gremlins. You might not need some bits -
e.g.,
the removal of leading and trailing spaces.

  ` GremlinsRemove
  ` 29/01/02 pb
  ` Deletes "gremlins" from text -- e.g.
  ` embedded tabs, spaces at beg. or end, line ends etc.
  ` parameters: $1 = pointer to the data to be checked
  ` (could be a field or variable)

C_TEXT($text;$tOutput)
C_LONGINT($i;$length;$type)

$type:=Type($1->)

If (($type=Is Text ) | ($type=Is Alpha Field ) | ($type=Is String Var ))
If (Length($1->)>0)
$text:=$1->

  ` first remove leading spaces
While (Ascii($text¾1„)=32)
$text:=Substring($text;2)
End while

  ` then remove all trailing spaces
While (Ascii($text¾Length($text)„)=32)
$text:=Substring($text;1;Length($text)-1)
End while

  ` Then remove all embedded gremlins
  ` Nothing below ASCII 32 (space) should be allowed, except
  ` 13 (CR) but only in text, not strings
$length:=Length($text)
$tOutput:=""
For ($i;1;$length)
Case of
: (($type=Is Text ) & (Ascii($text¾$i„)=13))  ` this is
allowed
$tOutput:=$tOutput+$text¾$i„

: (Ascii($text¾$i„)=13)
$tOutput:=$tOutput+" "