Sujit,
I use those multi-image files for buttons sometimes. They are nice for but
require a complicated setup. I mean, you have to generate those very
specific image files with the multiple versions of the base image. That's a
lot of prep to set it up and change later on. Evidence the fact 4D hasn't
changed their default button images in years now.

A few years ago I started using a set of icon images for buttons. It looks
nice and gives my apps a cohesive look. That set came with a series of
sizes (18x18, 24x24, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128). Those different sizes allow me
to use them in bevel style 3D buttons and as icons on hLists. It's a bit of
waste, though, having the full set (about 125) of each image in each size
in the Resources folder. Recently I've been working with a icon set (~300
images) drawn at one size (512x512 in this case) and sizing them down.

Who needs ~300 images for icons? It's true I use a fraction of them but
it's nice to have lots of stylistically similar choices available to work
with. It allows better consistency in building the user interface.

Picture buttons do this nicely. But there are some limitations; the border
choices aren't good and you can't include a text label, for instance. 3D
buttons offer better configurability as an interface object but the linked
image won't scale.

I think it would be nice if there was basically 1 button object that you
can configure as necessary. Sort of like a javascript button where the
button functions and the display attributes are separate.