I'm writing an update procedure for a database that uses Execute formula a
lot. Which got me looking at the benefits of Execute Method. This also got
me thinking about ways to make some methods I might write for users to
invoke and how I would go about making a little form for controlling which
methods they see (easy) to how I could manage configuring the input params
- if any.

I can get the list of methods in a compiled db and I can get the comments.
Comments are good for encoding what the method does and so forth. It occurs
to me it could also be used to store a stringified JSON (c-object) that
could provide the data necessary for configuring the params for that
particular method.

So it's a process of:

   - design the methods to make available
   - name them with a common prefix - 4D can filter the overall list of
   methods using it
   - let the user choose one (or choose for them)
   - if params are required get the comments, extract any JSON obj,
   configure the dialog and get user input
   - run it using Execute method

​This seems especially well suited to things like maintenance tasks. ​

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA