Peter,
I'm not really disagreeing with you. Having all this flexibility isn't
always a good thing. I'm not sure it's strictly a 'bug' because it's
consistent behaviour within a context. But the boundaries of the context
aren't visible when you're using it and that is a problem.

And I could have phrased my meaning a little better when I said I use all
three approaches. I've used all three but I've mostly abandoned returning
an object in favor of the other two as I described. The main reason being I
write most function methods that do anything complex to return an error
message (blank is good) and write the results to objects or variables
passed as pointers.