All,

Being a digest reader, it has been interesting to see how this thread is
unfolding.

Interesting points have been made by all and at the Art Institute of
Chicago we've observed some of the inconsistencies while adding C_OBJECT in
our applications. You can check out one of Brent Raymond's example videos
at the link below. The Dual Nature of Objects.

<https://4dmethod.com/2016/11/08/dual-nature-of-objects/#more-560>

I was developing a number of methods recently and using 4D Objects as
parameters and started to test the parameter in the method using "OB Is
defined" on the parameter object and created an error constant for our
application "Err_k4DObjectNotDefined". Now all of the methods use this and
we log errors using custom error methods. It pays to be defensive when the
behavior is inconsistent.

It is easy to set up a quick test database to test all of the behaviors
that you are unsure of. If you are really diligent you will test
interpreted and compiled. I think the developer base is still getting up to
speed on 4D language objects and there will be "best practices" to follow
as they are defined.

Shameless Plug

The next 4DMethod hangout is December 7, 2016 12:00 noon (UTC - 6:00)

Special Topic: 4DListbox Component - Bruno Raeymaekers (HBO Latin America)

<http://www.4DMethod.com>

Edgar Hammond
ehamm...@questinformation.com

Quest Information Systems