I haven't used the 'store outside of datafile' option (text, object,
picture fields) very often. I'm wondering about how 4D manages loading the
records across the network.

I know that if I query a table from a client and then load or display the
selection of records the record data gets pulled down from the server to
the client. Thus it's generally faster to use EOS to do the searching on
the server and only have to load the specific records required.

I'm wondering if 4D is optimized to not download the externally stored data
unless it's required?

Just to be clear let's imagine a table called [Documents]:

[Documents]

ID

Title

Date

_body  ( a blob field with the Store externally field property)

​From a client machine I execute an EOS search method that returns a named
selection​ and on the client display a form showing ID / Title / Date.

​Since the _body field isn't accessed yet is it true that data isn't
downloaded to the client?​

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA