Hi,

I worked with 4D Mobile and Wakanda for a couple of years, and for simply
publishing grids and detail views of data from 4D, its pretty impressive how
quickly you can put something together. Unfortunately, once you get into
editing data and client side business logic, (which is what most of us do for a
living), a developer will have to dig in every bit as much as they might using
any other technology stack on the market. Personally, I have found it easier
having my client side code making AJAX calls directly to 4D. You can write
server side response code right into 4D methods, use Active4D (what I would
recommend) or even try working with the new javascript framework in the latest
version of NTK toolkit .

I also don’t think using Wakanda as a back end is any easier than making calls
to 4D via AJAX. Either way, 4D developers will need to learn some new things,
but Wakanda is a whole new framework. At least with 4D, you are on familiar
ground.

So, for simply browsing data in situations where the licensing is not a major
issue, the 4D Mobile/Wakanda stack is a real time saver. When you are servicing
larger numbers of users or building web apps that require significant business
logic,  use a Web Expansion with unlimited connections, and manage your own
requests and responses. A number of client side framework combinations will
semi-automate your requests and your client side data modeling for you, and the
server side responses aren’t really that hard to build from 4D.

Tom DeMeo