Randy,

We have several customers who were using commercial scanning software to test
web servers and one test was basically of DOS.  When this test was run, 4D
Server (V13) would crash...not good.

To get around this, we did a rather simple "trick"....

Since we know the format of every web request coming into our system, I simply
created a new method called "Utility_Web_Intrusion_Shutdown" which looks like
this:

     $minutes:=5*3600

     WEB STOP SERVER

     DELAY PROCESS(Current process;$minutes)

     WEB START SERVER

When an unknown request came in, we routed it to the method above.  This
effectively killed their test and did not crash 4D Server.  In my example
above, the web server was down for 5 minutes, no magic for that number.
However, if the test was still running when the time limit was up, it would
simply jump back into this routine.

Quick & Dirty, but it did work...

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.         Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  s.o...@the-aquila-group.com