> Le 21 avr. 2017 à 23:41, Chip Scheide via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com> a
> écrit :
>
> I am working on my first component -
> all the chat about them  :)
>
> process and inter process variables
> what can be seen by the component of/from the host, and vis-verse
>
> At the moment - I am looking at an inter process var in my nascent
> component,
> can the host database see this?
> if I change an IP variable value in a component does it change the host
> value?

Hi Chip,
in addition to Wayne's post, see "Shared and unshared objects" in this page:
<http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16/4D/16/Interaction-between-components-and-host-databases.300-3048908.en.html>

For example, in a component:
• 'Get pointer' and 'RESOLVE POINTER' will read component's variables
• all "system variables" are distinct from host
<http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16/4D/16/Variables-systeme.300-3036051.fr.html>
etc.

Personal thought about UI: I avoid it in components, except "little pieces of
puzzle" like dialogs, progress, some widgets… In a development I'm on, an
important part of the UI relies on a component - some kind of table navigator /
advanced user mode, if you want - and it's really a nightmare to maintain.

--
Arnaud de Montard