I asked this question some time ago but with the current flurry of interest
in external databases I will have another go. NB no components involved
here.

If I have an external datafile held on the server how do I access it
(purely for lookup) from a 4D client?

What I tried was to use SQL as follows:

Begin SQL
USE DATABASE DATAFILE 'F:\AuthCodeEXT.4DD';
select LocAuthCode_LOOKUP.OSLAUA

from LocAuthCode_LOOKUP
where PCD2 = :cPC_Search
into :acLocAuthCodes;

USE DATABASE SQL_INTERNAL;
End SQL

 and then to release the datafile with AUTO_CLOSE.

This works fine in a very low usage context.

I would like to use it in a busier scenario but am concerned that the
datafile would often be locked.

One suggestion I saw on the NUG was to access it from the server using the
"Execute on Server" property on a method and then apparently the locking is
taken care of by the 4D server.

Has anybody tried this arrangement in a busy database (40-50 users and
additional web cleints)?

David Samson
Manchester
UK