John,

No 'r' features will be included in a dot release until 17.0.

No bug fixes will be made to 16r2, its frozen in time now. However bug fixes
will be incorporated into 16r3 which is nearly final now and r4, r5.

16r6 is of course 17.0.

If you go down the r path, and I see no reason why you shouldn't, you are
committing yourself to continuing through the r releases as the way of
obtaining bug fixes.

Regards,

Wayne
Sent from my iPhone