Hi Chip,

That brings up a good question. A “static” variable doesn’t seem very much
different from a constant on the surface. The only differences I can think of
are (1) a constant is compiled into the raw binary and (2) because of that, a
constant is the same across all instances of an app, where a “static” variable
can be computed at launch (or when it is created). It just can’t change later
on while the app is running.

But since so many languages have the concept of constants and “static”
variables as separate things, it makes me wonder if there are more subtle (and
important) differences that I don’t understand. Does anyone who has experience
with both know how important it is to have both concepts in a language? Or
could they be merged into one idea with no drawbacks?

--
Cannon.Smith
Synergy Farm Solutions Inc.