Can someone please help me understand the mechanisms I would use if I wanted
to authenticate a user/password combination against an LDAP server? Do I...

1) use the user-supplied username/password to log into the LDAP server and
see if the login works?

or

2) use a system username/password to log into the LDAP server, and the
verify that the user-supplied username/password validates?

If it's #1, I assume I could use the 4D LDAP Login and Logout to accomplish.
If it's #2 (and I'm guessing it is) then what do I use to validate the
user-supplied username / password? Am I doing an LDAP search of some kind
using the 4D command LDAP Search? Or is there some other operation that
needs to take place? I'm in v16 for reference.

thanks in advance!