Below are some links to sites which show statistics on various password
frequency, some based on  hacked password systems.

A summary on passwords - from where I do not remember -
We have succeeded in enfacing passwords which are difficult for us
humans to use/remeber, and easy for computers to (hackers) to break.

https://qz.com/772977/millions-of-stolen-last-fm-passwords-have-been-decrypted-these-are-the-top-50/
http://www.jbonneau.com/doc/B12-IEEESP-analyzing_70M_anonymized_passwords.pdf
(note : pdf)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/a-large-scale-study-of-web-password-habits/

a place for discussion of passwords and related topics :
http://reddit.com/r/passwords
(an interesting link from there)
https://www.servethehome.com/password-cracking-with-8x-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-gpus/

441 BILLION hashes a second (MD4)
They were also using a bit over 3kw of power to do so.... (article says
about $1/hour in electricity)
ignoring a lot of stuff... at that hash rate:
a 5 character password, which allows 128 characters (basic ascii)
COMPLETELY BY BRUTE FORCE falls in just over 9 hours.  That is 128^5
(34,359,738,368).

One analysis I read  - I can't find it again -
not only looked at common passwords, but at common passwords of varying
length.
i.e. the most common 8 character, 6 character 10 character etc
passwords.
The commonest 25 or 30% of passwords fell into the stupid category
1111..., 22222... etc

They also looked at common 4 and 6 digit PINs.
besides the obvious 1234, 1111 etc they also looked at entry patterns
so passwords that were common, but did not on the surface make sense
such as 1397, 7931, 7139 etc, when examined in light of the standard
key pad did make sense as these are all variations on the 'outer
corners' of the keypad. Other patterns of entry were also discovered,
diagonals (951x), down the middle (8520), etc.  As I recall, between
stupid simple PINs 1111, 2222 etc, and basic keypad patterns something
like 65% of PINs were covered.

My take on passwords:
- they keep honest people honest.
- passwords for sites which are 1 time use, and do not have access to $
(credit cards, etc) Who cares what the password is. Use an easy to
remember 'junk' password.
- Sites/apps which have access to $ - use a 'good' password (random so
that social engineering doesn't help, or phrases), stored in a password
manager  (I use a custom one I wrote in 4D of course).
- Sites which ask 'security questions' - use the same random string
generator for the answers and store them too.
- given sufficient incentive, time, and $ any password can be cracked,
or the site/app hacked to either expose or by-pass a password.
- Bio-metrics -- **BAD** idea, maybe I watch/read too much Science
fiction, but... the loss of a body part to an interested party.. I'll
pass thank you.

<https://blog.agilebits.com/2011/08/10/better-master-passwords-the-geek-edition/>

> --
> Cannon.Smith
> Synergy Farm Solutions Inc.
> Hill Spring, AB Canada
> 403-626-3236
> <can...@synergyfarmsolutions.com>
> <www.synergyfarmsolutions.com>
>

>> On Jun 26, 2017, at 3:49 PM, David Adams via 4D_Tech
>> <4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:
>>
>>  I didn't
>> find the reference I wanted for this

Gas is for washing parts