Hint : I do not develop a VM app.

I think that you would have to find/intercept the OS level call to 4D
to determine the (data) file that was dragged onto your application. I
do not know how you would do that.

An annoying but possible solution:
always when opening the database ask (in a confirmation dialog)
"Do you want to continue to work with <Last data file>
   or
Open a different one?
<button : Open>  <Default Button : Continue>

http://doc.4d.com/4Dv15/4D/15/Default-data-file-in-merged-applications.300-2018649.en.html

>>> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
>>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
>>> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html