Justin:

That is a requirement of Health Care Systems in Canada for more than 15 years.
It is actually a good idea. Fortunately there is an ‘easy’ way to do it and it
does not take once ounce of programming (not good for billable hours). The
clients purchase the drive controllers and drives (if using existing servers)
that encrypt all data on the drive. All servers we purchase now, have this
hardware feature in them. This works with SSDs as well.

The speed is such that there even large sites do not notice a reduction of
performance of the system.

Jody Bevan
ARGUS Productions Inc.
Developer