> I can’t speak to any performance differences when using them as indexed key
> fields for searches … they likely have similar performance, but that’s just a
> guess.

I can speak to the performance, they are not the same. UUID is faster.

4D uses BTrees (binary trees or sometimes called red/black trees) to store
index structures. A sequential number is the slowest possible way to create or
add to a BTree. The treee needs to remain balanced, so there is a lot of
rebalancing the needs to occur when numbers are added sequentially. UUID’s are
much more random and require less tree balancing and are therefore faster for
delete, create operations.

I started using UUID since version 11 and love them.

--
Neil Dennis
4D Developer since 1990

GreaText - Designing Software for the Way You Work
716 East 1850 N
North Ogden, UT 84414

mailto:npden...@greatext.com
http://www.greatext.com/