Kirk,

        Correct me if I am wrong but, there is no choice with external data and
client server as the external data folder is on the server machine. The
managing of the external file has to be done on the server and a trigger is the
logical place to do it as the external file has to be updated every time the
image is modified or deleted.

John

> On Aug 4, 2017, at 4:32 AM, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
> wrote:
>
> ​Also keep in mind triggers always run on the server. So doing something
> like file manipulation is problematic and you can't rely on IP vars.
>
> ​I'd move the file manipulation back to the form context. No idea if it
> will matter in this specific instance​ but it will be easier to get the
> user involved if something isn't working as expected.

John Baughman
Kailua, Hawaii
(808) 262-0328
john...@hawaii.rr.com