It’s been a long time since I’ve used 4D and JSON but as I recall one problem
was the inability to parse JSON where the top level is an array instead of an
object. IOW, if your JSON looked like this:

[ 1, 2, 3 ]

4D couldn’t parse it.

A pretty big deviation from the standard. On the other hand, you can test for a
top level array, wrap it in an object, and go about your business.

I wrote a JSON parser in 4D code way back in 2011 (and did a Summit session
about it in 2012) that has no problem handling any valid JSON. Maybe the new
collection type will allow parsing of top level JSON arrays. Regardless, the
collection type is a nice addition to the language.

Rick Hazey
Octet Industries, LLC
r...@octethosting.net <mailto:r...@octethosting.net>
WWKD?