Thanks to everyone who responded. My first problem was using the UTF8 text
without length constant instead of “UTF-8”. Who knew they would be different!
Thanks for pointing that out, Justin.

The main reason I didn’t want to have a BOM character was that JSON Parse
chokes on such documents. I’ll file a bug for this. In the mean time, I’ve
figured out a way to move forward and make peace with BOM characters while not
affecting legacy systems until they are upgraded. It basically amounts to
manually removing the BOM on a few files on FTP sites for awhile, but not the
end of the world.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

--
Cannon.Smith